The Barefoot Contessa makes her favorite butternut squash recipe—a salad of arugula topped with butternut squash, cranberries, walnuts, and a warm cider vinaigrette.
In this episode of Barefoot Contessa’s Back To Basics, Ina Garten whips up a quick and easy Fall salad with a flavor sure to transport you to a café in France.
Butternut squash is a versatile Autumn squash with a sweet, nutty flavor. Add it to salads, make a creamy soup, or serve it as a side dish!
Ina Garten shows us just how easy it is to incorporate this squash’s delicate flavor into your meals. This Warm Butternut Squash Salad is a perfect starter for your holiday dinner, or a great light lunch.
The rich, sweet and nutty taste of the butternut squash pairs well with peppery arugula, tart cranberries, and toasted walnuts. Top it off with easy-to-make warm cider vinaigrette that brings out all the flavors.
You can also add some diced bacon to this salad to give it a heartier feel. Or serve it with a grilled cheese sandwich for a quick lunch or dinner meal.
Warm Butternut Squash Salad Ingredients:
- 1 (1 ½ pound) butternut squash, peeled and diced
- Olive oil
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- Kosher salt
- Fresh ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons dried cranberries
- 4 ounces baby arugula, washed
- ½ cup walnuts halves, toasted
- ¾ cup freshly grated Parmesan
Warm Cider Vinaigrette Ingredients:
- ¾ cup apple cider or apple juice
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons minced shallots
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard